In my Alabama car wreck case, will the jury know the defendant has car insurance?
You’ve been in a car wreck and ultimately have to file suit because you cannot get a fair settlement from the insurance company.
You’re going to trial, and the jury is going to hear about how this person ran the red light and smashed into you while you were stopped in traffic.
You might assume that when the jury hears about your injuries, the jury will also know that the other guy has insurance through State Farm, Allstate, Geico, etc.
Surely they will know that the money is not coming from the other guy, but that it’s coming from a big company, right?
Here’s the problem – this is not the way it works in Alabama.
The jury will not know that the defendant you have sued has insurance.
Over the 25 years that I’ve done personal injury cases, I’ve been having this conversation with clients.
Every time, the client is in disbelief.
Will the jury know you had Blue Cross Blue Shield and that’s how you paid your medical bills? Absolutely.
But the jury will not know that the person who ran the red light has a $100,000 or a $1,000,000 umbrella policy.
And you can’t tell the jury about this. You can’t even mention that the other guy has insurance.
Your lawyers cannot suggest it.
It is an unfair situation, but it is the reality in Alabama.
So, we just deal with it.
There are ways to work around this and minimize the impact.
You need to go into this lawsuit understanding that this is the law in Alabama.
The jury will know that you had health insurance but they will not know that the other side has liability or car insurance.
Again, there are ways to work around this to make sure that you get a fair judgment and verdict at trial for money damages.
We hope this is helpful to you!
If you live in Alabama and you have any questions, feel free to get in touch with us.
We would be glad to help you in any way we can.
You can reach us by phone at 1-205-879-2447, or you can fill out a contact form and we will get in touch with you quickly.
Have a great day!
P.S. If you are interested in more information about car wreck lawsuits, check out our other posts:
- What Should I do if I’ve been injured in a Car Wreck? Part I, The Wreck.
- What Should I Do If I’ve Been injured In A Car Wreck? Part II, The Treatment.
- What Should I do if I’ve been injured in a Car Wreck? Part III, What to expect if you have to file a lawsuit.
- I’ve been in a car wreck: Should I speak to the other side’s insurance adjuster? (Be careful!)
- Should I take pictures of my vehicle when I’ve been in a car wreck in Alabama?
- How do I find out how much insurance the other person has in my Alabama car wreck case?
- What is medical payments on my car insurance and how does it help me if I’ve been in a car wreck?
- What Are Interrogatories And What Do They Mean For My Car Wreck Or Truck Wreck Case?