How to check and make sure your credit reports are accurate


The first thing you need to do it look at your credit reports.

You can print them for free at

Then, you need to go through your reports line by line.

Here’s what you do on each piece of information you find on your credit reports:  Ask yourself, “Is this information true or false?”

If your reports are accurate, then you’re in the clear and there’s nothing else to do.

However, if there are any errors, you need to get them fixed.

Fix the errors by disputing them through the credit reporting agencies — these are places such as Experian, TransUnion, Equifax, etc.  These are the companies that compile or create your credit reports.
We have other articles/videos on how to dispute false information but here is the basic idea:

  1. Send a letter to each credit reporting agency that has false information on your reports.  It could be just one, it could two, or it could be more.
  2. See if the false information is from a “furnisher” (the one who provided the info — such as Bank of America, etc), then send the letter to the furnisher as well
  3. Identify the error — name, account number, etc.  Make it easy for the company receiving the letter to know which information you say is wrong.
  4. Explain why the information is wrong — not your account, incorrect name, address, etc.
  5. Enclose any proof you have that the information is wrong
  6. Ask them to fix it or delete it
  7. Send your dispute letter certified mail return receipt requested so you know they received the letter

What to do after you hear back from the credit reporting agencies

If they fix the error, that’s great!  Normally you would not need to do anything else.

But what do you do if they don’t fix the error?  If you are in Alabama, give us a call at 205-879-2447.  We’ll help you look at your situation to see what your options are on suing or doing another dispute.

We normally sue under the FCRA (Fair Credit Reporting Act) to fix the problem and to get you money damages.  We find this motivates the bad guys to fix the problem ASAP.

Contact Us.

If you live in Alabama and you have any questions, you can reach us by phone at 1-205-879-2447.

Or you can fill out a contact form and we will get in touch with you soon.

I look forward to chatting with you!

Have a great day.

-John G. Watts


Comments are closed.

Contact Information